If you believe that you are falsely accused of a reckless driving ticket, then you need to contact a professional reckless driving attorney in Virginia immediately. It is best that you take the guidance of a lawyer even before the court’s hearing. In Virginia, reckless driving is considered as a criminal offense, and the penalties for reckless driving charges are very strict. It is crucial to understand what acts are included in reckless driving and how can you exercise your rights to get rid of a false, reckless driving ticket.
Talk to your lawyer only
If a police officer has handed you a reckless driving ticket, it means you are already in hot water for being accused of a criminal offense in Virginia. It is ideal to stay quiet and not to give any more reason to the police officer at the time of the incident. Police officers are trained professionals who are daily dealing with a bunch of criminals. These criminal are lying to hide their criminal offense. Therefore, the police officers know how to make a person confess the crime. The police officers usually ask multiple tricky questions, or they will even remind you the possible punishments of the criminal offense so that you confess your crime. However, you should exercise your right to stay quiet at the time you are being charged and talk to your lawyer regarding the incident.
Get the help of a professional attorney
If you are convicted of reckless driving, you have to face harsh punishment in Virginia. As Virginia treats reckless driving as class 1 misdemeanor, the convicted individual will be subject to one or more of the following punishments:
- Suspension of your driving license
- Heavy Fines
- Record of reckless driving in your driving transcript for two – eleven years
- Hiked insurance premiums
- Negative points for reckless driving, which are maintained by Department of motor vehicle in Virginia
- Loss of job due to imprisonment, or suspension of driving license
- Dependency on public mode of transport
Hiring a professional attorney will help you in mitigating these false accuses. It is crucial to hire an experienced lawyer who had handled the reckless driving cases in Virginia, as he will be aware of all the mitigating factors.
Prepare yourself for the trial
It is ideal that you must prepare yourself for the courts hearing. It is important to understand that Virginia court deals harshly with all the criminal. And as you are charged with a reckless driving ticket, you will also be treated strictly by the prosecutors. A professional lawyer will be able to help you in adopting the best defensive strategies through which you can waive your reckless driving charges.
Mitigating arguments and tips to win a false, reckless driving case
- A strong driving record and a clean character certificate
- You can base your case if the police officer has not witnessed the incident himself
- A reasonable emergency to support your reckless driving case
- Justifying by road conditions
- Take a driving course before the court’s hearing
- Calibrate your speedometer
- Take part in any of the community services